Charlotte is one, but every once in a while she has “homework”. I think this is about the second or third time something has been sent home for us to help with and return. They start them early these days:) This particular assignment is to write down five things that we as a family/Charlotte are thankful for. It was easy because we are incredibly blessed.
Here’s what we are thankful for:
1) FAMILY/CATS – Of course, I am so thankful for the tiny, brilliant little ginger baby who brought me this assignment, and I’m thankful for the daddy who raises her with me. And, I know that Charlotte is thankful for our cats, as she is purely delightful every time she sees them and gets to snuggle Mr. Nitro. That cat lets her maul him and keeps on a purring. We are lucky to have wonderful grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins around to play with our little Char as well. I’m extra thankful in recent weeks as I got to have a loooooong overdue girls’ night out with my little sister Haley, AND my little brother Caleb rejoined his family in North Carolina just today after his second deployment to Afghanistan. Hallelujah!
2) BEING HEALTHY – Charlotte and Luke both had surgeries this year, we have dealt with family illnesses in the past couple of years, and well… let’s just say “Ebola” – yikes! Needless to say, we are all healthy. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I get to wake up and enjoy another day. And, let me just add a side note on Charlotte’s health. Before she had ear tubes put in this May, she was sick with colds and ear infections all of the time. She really hasn’t been sick in the six months since getting them. Such a blessing to be thankful for.
3) HAVING FOOD – This is one I forget sometimes. It’s easy to take food for granted. I grew up in a household that often relied on government support for our meals. I never knew hunger though, thanks in part to that help. But, there are too many people in our country and certainly across the world who do not have enough food to fill their bellies. Miss Charlotte doesn’t know that feeling and I pray she never does. I am so grateful we get to sit down to full plates at the dinner table each night. And, I’m thankful for the organizations and programs out there to help others.
4) ELMO – Well, this one’s for Charlotte. She is OBSESSED with Elmo! Today alone, I have probably heard the word “Elmo” eh… maybe 200 times? She has Elmo books, Elmo toys and Elmo plates. The girl begs to see him on the PBS Kids app on the iPad or on Netflix on the big TV. Daycare/I have created a monster… who loves another tiny red monster. But, hey, at least it’s not Barney.
5) DAYCARE TEACHERS – I had to put that there since these slips of paper (that I assume will become turkey feathers) are headed back to school. But, really, Charlotte has had, and does have, fantastic teachers at her daycare. In the one-year-old room especially, she is entertained and does a lot of art projects. She actually smiles when she walks in first thing in the mornings. I’m thankful she’s in good hands.
So, how did I do with my one-year-old-level homework? I’m thankful to be able to take the time to sit down and write about a few things we are thankful for around our household… although the list could go on and on. What are you thankful for today?